Friday, February 19, 2010

Sad news...

Well, folks, I am sure that most of you have received the sad news that El Bulli is closing.

I must admit, that it wasn't on my list of places to visit before I die, however, I now regret the fact that I will now never get the chance. It's like not seeing Avatar on an IMAX screen in 3D. It may not be exactly your cup of tea, but you are truly missing something if you don't have the experience. It is unique...unlike any other thing of the same nature. I have never been a fan of foams and airs, but that isn't all that El Bulli was about. Ferran Adria challenged long standing notions about what IS food/cooking. He stretched boundaries and inspired a generation of cooks to look beyond the box. While I may never get to El Bulli...perhaps a visit to Wylie is in order...you know...in the name of science...



On a much more personal note...


Shake Shack is not coming to Lower Manhattan.



Apparently the residents of Nolita have no interest in easy access to the most delicious burgers around. What is wrong with these people? Has the garlic gone to their brains? There are few things as satisfying as a Shack Burger. And few things as frustrating as the journey uptown that must accompany it. I know Danny Meyer plans on expanding the Shake Shack empire.

Good.
Put one on my block.
Please.

As if I wasn't on a hamburger kick already...I am now inspired to seek out the greatest burgers I can. I will share them with you my friends.

 
We begin our journey with Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Get yourself a Double Patty Bacon Cheeseburger all the way. Skip the cajun seasoning on the fries. Wash it all down with a Mr. Pibb. Get some extra napkins. You will need them. Not a bad way to tide myself over until I get to the Shack.

No comments: