Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tasting parties gaining momentum...

So it looks like our monthly tasting parties are really starting to take off. This past week was restaurant week in Maplewood so we hosted a full week of our soon to be famous tasting parties. That's also why I've been too busy to post...these things take a lot of work.


For those that don't know, we set the room as one long communal table and serve a set seven course menu. Folks are encouraged to interact and meet new people. It tends to be quite a bit of fun...at  least this writer for the NY Times seems to think so.





We topped this slice of Japanese Suzuki with lime, raisins and late harvest Gewurztraminer to create a type of ceviche or emince. we started each night with this dish and it set the tone. Simple, clean flavors. Bright and exciting. I could eat this all day.





Leek and potato soup with a mottled truffle cream. I love serving this dish because no one ever expects it to be quite as good as it actually is. From the color, you can see that the ratio of leek to potato is heavy on the leek side. This soup really tends to catch people off guard.





Roasted eggplant with Morrocan spices topped with a barely poached quail egg. Several people said that they don't like eggplant...and proceeded to clean their plates. Nuf said?






Oh yeah...can't forget desserts...



It's always tough for me to write about the dishes, since I don't get to sit and eat them.

How about this...leave a comment on this post about why you should be the guest commentator at the next tasting and I will pick my favorite to have a guest post.

1 comment:

Elyse said...

I don't want to comment. I just want to come eat again!